Classic French Onion Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 2 hours
Makes12 servings (2-1/4 quarts)
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 cups thinly sliced onions (about 3 pounds)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup port wine
- 2 cartons (32 ounces each) beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 24 slices French bread baguette (1/2 inch thick)
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 3/4 cup shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- In a Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons oil and butter over medium heat. Add onions; cook and stir until softened, 10-13 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, until deep golden brown, 30-40 minutes. Add minced garlic; cook 2 minutes longer.
- Stir in wine. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half. Add broth, pepper and salt; return to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°. Place baguette slices on a baking sheet; brush both sides with remaining oil. Bake until toasted, 3-5 minutes on each side. Rub toasts with halved garlic.
- To serve, place twelve 8-oz. broiler-safe bowls or ramekins on baking sheets; place 2 toasts in each. Ladle with soup; top with cheese. Broil 4 in. from heat until cheese is melted.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup soup with 1 slice bread and 1 tablespoon cheese: 172 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 773mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jun 25, 2020
One of the best!! Very good and followed another comment about making half for only the two of us. I did not have the baguette but did have a couple of homemade buns that worked fine.
Apr 22, 2020
Delicious. I used sherry as that I’d what I had on hand. Even my kids gobbled it up!
Jan 11, 2020
Awesome soup! This recipe is a keeper! Takes some time, but well worth it. I think it is restaurant quality! I used Guyrer and sometimes use smoked Gouda. Delicious!
Oct 17, 2019
No comment left
Jun 24, 2019
This soup was amazing! I caramelized the onions in my slow cooker (10 hours on low) and used white Port instead of red because that's what we had on hand...wow...so good! I will definitely be making this again!
Jun 2, 2019
I used red wine , swiss cheese, and New York Texas croutions. Second time making in the last month. Excellent !!!
Feb 5, 2019
This is basically Julia Child's recipe from "Mastering the Art of French Cooking." It's easy to make and utterly delicious. Julia recommended sprinkling 1/2 tsp of sugar on the sliced onions to help them caramelize more quickly. Don't rush this step....the flavor depends on it.
Feb 3, 2019
This was the easiest onion soup I've made, but the taste was too bland for us. Very Disappointed.
Jan 23, 2019
This was the best French Onion soup we've ever had, even from the best restaurants. The onions took an hour and a half to caramelize but worth wait! I doubled the amount of pepper and salt, and used Manchego cheese because it was in the fridge. Also used Creme de Cassis because I didn't have Port. It took all afternoon to cut
Jan 22, 2019
This is the first time I have made onion soup. If you turn the heat up on the onions, you can caramelize faster, just stir almost constantly. So delicious. Keeper recipe. The wine made a big difference, I added a pinch of thyme.