Citrus & Herb Roasted Turkey Breast
Total TimePrep: 1 hour + chilling Bake: 2 hours + standing
- 4 cups water
- 3/4 cup kosher salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 medium lemons, quartered
- 6 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 6 fresh thyme sprigs
- 8 garlic cloves, halved
- 1 tablespoon coarsely ground pepper
- 2 cups cold apple juice
- 2 cups cold orange juice
- 2 large oven roasting bags
- 1 bone-in turkey breast (5 to 6 pounds)
- HERB BUTTER:
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 4 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 1-1/2 teaspoons coarsely ground pepper
- SEASONED SALT BUTTER:
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1-1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, combine the first 8 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Add cold juices to brine; cool to room temperature.
- Place 1 oven roasting bag inside the other. Place turkey breast inside both bags; pour in cooled brine. Seal bags, pressing out as much air as possible, and turn to coat. Place in a roasting pan. Refrigerate 8 hours or overnight, turning occasionally.
- In a small bowl, beat herb butter ingredients until blended. Remove turkey from brine; rinse and pat dry. Discard brine. Place turkey on a rack in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan. With fingers, carefully loosen skin from turkey breast; rub herb butter under the skin. Secure skin to underside of breast with toothpicks. Refrigerate, covered, 18-24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a small bowl, mix butter and seasoned salt; brush over outside of turkey. Roast 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven setting to 325°. Roast 1-3/4-2-1/4 hours longer or until a thermometer reads 170°. (Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly.) Remove turkey from oven; tent with foil. Let stand 15 minutes before carving.
Nutrition Facts6 ounces cooked turkey: 411 calories, 23g fat (10g saturated fat), 151mg cholesterol, 482mg sodium, 1g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 48g protein.
Apr 2, 2020
EXCELLENT!! The bring is an additional step, however it is well worth it. The meat was flavorful and moist. My family loved this recipe!!
Jan 12, 2020
Very tasty and moist.
Dec 26, 2019
I made this for our small family Christmas dinner and it was a hit!! The turkey was so moist and flavorful. My daughter who is a fan of my husband's fried turkey at Thanksgiving, said this was so much better. Other than the time it takes to brine the turkey, it's a simple and quick recipe. I will definitely be making this again and again.
Mar 16, 2016
Oh my! Tender and succulent. So worth the time spent to prepare.