Cinnamon Swirl Bread
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 30 min.
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm whole milk (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 5-1/2 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add milk, 1/2 cup sugar, eggs, butter, salt and 3 cups flour; beat on medium speed until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Mix cinnamon and remaining sugar. Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each portion into an 18x8-in. rectangle; sprinkle each with about 1/4 cup cinnamon sugar to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a short side; pinch seam to seal. Place in 2 greased 9x5-in. loaf pans, seam side down.
- Cover with kitchen towels; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours. Preheat oven to 350°.
- Bake until golden brown, 30-35 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 132 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 141mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Jun 28, 2020
Wonderful bread. Unfortunately, I’ve been eating almost every day. I have toPass on the rolling because there were always spaces. So now I do the Russian braid and it turns out so pretty and perfect. I do spray my dough lightly before adding cinnamon sugar mixture and then again right before I shape it. I brush with melted butter and sprinkle with chin sug mixture right before baking. Can’t have to much of that. Turns out great.
May 26, 2020
This is only my second time making this bread and my second time making bread ever. So obviously it’s a great recipe. This time I added raisins and buttered the top after baking. My hubby said” more raisins and cinnamon”. Next time I will all a think layer of butter and more cinnamon sugar and raisins! Excellent recipe!
May 14, 2020
This bread is amazing and fairly easy for this first timer. My swirl is perfect! The crust is perfect and the taste is perfect! I can't wait to try it for french toast!
May 7, 2020
This bread was fabulous!!!! My swirl came out perfect so not only does it taste great but it looks perfect. I love toasting it and serving it with butter....so good.
Apr 24, 2020
Just baked two loaves per recipe. Followed directions exactly - dough rose so high I had to rearrange oven racks! Tastes even better than it looks. If there is any left by the weekend, I’m going to use it for French toast. Yum! Will make great gifts for neighbors while we’re “social distancing”.
Apr 23, 2020
Recipe looks very good too bad there is a yeast shortage due to the pandemic. Would love to bake this. Any suggestions on breads without yeast similar to this one?
Apr 19, 2020
I used skim milk instead of whole, brown sugar instead of white sugar with the cinnamon and added raisins. I also kneaded with a dough hook in mixer and finished for a minute or two by hand. Baked 30 minutes. Turned out very very good.
Apr 17, 2020
This bread turned our awesome! We love it. It makes a wonderful gift!!
Apr 9, 2020
Haven't bake for a while. Been in the hospital recovering from Open Heart Surgery, So I gave this a shot. This recipe turned out fantastic. Thank you for such an easy recipe not just for mem but for my family as well. Virginia
Apr 4, 2020
This is exactly like what my mother made. For some reason I never wrote down her recipe. I cut the recipe in half to make one loaf, and only made a couple of slight changes: I spread the rolled out dough with softened butter before sprinkling on the cinnamon/sugar mixture, then, once the loaf was out of the oven and cooled a bit, brushed a bit more butter on top and sprinkled with a bit more cinnamon sugar. I will make this again.