Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2/3 cup butter, melted, divided
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs, beaten, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 to 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 2-2/3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a bowl, combine cocoa and baking soda; blend in 1/3 cup melted butter. Add boiling water, stirring until thickened. Stir in sugar, eggs, vanilla and remaining butter. Add flour, cinnamon and salt. Fold in chocolate chips. Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° until brownies test done, about 40 minutes. Cool.
- For frosting, cream butter in a bowl. Combine cocoa, confectioners' sugar and cinnamon; add alternately with the milk. Beat to a spreading consistency; add vanilla. Add more milk if necessary. Spread over the brownies.
Nutrition Facts1 brownie: 137 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 94mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dec 11, 2017
We really liked these. I was worried about the cinnamon, but we all liked the taste. I even forgot to add the vanilla to the frosting, but you couldn't even tell.
Nov 1, 2016
These were very good and a nice change from the usual brownie recipe. I love the special taste that the cinnamon provides. I have also baked them without the chocolate chips, and they still turned out excellent. I like going with the 1 teaspoon of cinnamon because it gives a more subtle taste.
Apr 5, 2014
These were a hit with my friends! Moist and tasty!
Nov 28, 2013
Very good taste, loved the cinnamon addition, but weren't very moist, even bordering on dry. Also WAY too much frosting 1/2 the amount would have been MORE than enough. I would have normally thought the dryness came from overbaking, but only left in for 35 minutes, not the whole 40 as the recipe called for. I was really disappointed in this recipe.
Oct 19, 2013
Delicious!!!!!! Most people cannot identify the "mystery ingredient", they do however, recognize an excellent brownie.
Jun 5, 2011
The cinnamon taste was interestingly unusual, but they weren't chocolatey enough or moist enough. There was also too much frosting in my opinion.
Apr 27, 2011
These are hands down the best brownies I've ever made. The cinnamon in them makes them taste slightly exotic, yet the chocolate still lends itself to a traditional brownie flavor. The highest compliment I can give them is that a friend of mine who refuses to eat anything other than wholesome, healthy food, was eating leftover crumbs from the pan because she couldn't get enough of them. These brownies are definitely not healthy, but they're certainly decadent!
Jul 3, 2010
After reading the reviews I hope to boost the ratings of this 5 star recipe because these brownies were really that good! If a person feels strongly about cinnamon, use the smaller amount called for. I did everything called for in this recipe, but one thing. I added a tsp. of instant coffee granules to boost the chocolate flavor. My family loves these and hope others will give them a try.
Jan 11, 2010
The amount of cinnamon in this recipe is correct and always has been. There is another Cinnamon Brownie recipe on TasteofHome.com and that one uses 1 tablespoon of cinnamon. If anyone thinks that would be too strong, it could be reduced to 2 teaspoons.We apologize for any inconvenience or confusion.Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Jan 10, 2010
This is more in regards to the recipe printed in the Taste of Home Cookies book. I was absolutely furious when I saw this online version, in the book there is an apparent misprint that suggests 1 TABLESPOON of ground cinnamon, naturally I questioned myself--but assumed ToH knew better. Apparently, it was gross misprint now that I compare to the recipe they posted on line. The cinnamon smell in my apartment is so strong it makes me sneeze, and I wasted all those ingredients:( I might try again using the appropriate recipe/amounts, but now I don't know where to believe the book!