Cinnamon Apple Dumplings
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 3 tablespoons ice water
- 2 medium baking apples
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon half-and-half cream
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons Red Hots or 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Additional half-and-half cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. With a fork, stir in water until dough forms a ball. Roll out on a floured surface to a 14x7-in. rectangle; cut crust in half.
- Peel and core apples; place an apple on each square of crust. Combine sugar and cinnamon; spoon into apples. Moisten edges of crust with water and gather around apples; pinch seams to seal.
- Place dumplings in an ungreased 9x5-in. loaf pan or a shallow 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Brush with cream.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, Red Hots, cornstarch, water and butter. Bring to a boil over medium-low heat, stirring frequently; boil for 2 minutes. Pour between dumplings.
- Bake until crust is golden brown and apples are tender, 35-45 minutes. Serve warm, with cream if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 dumpling: 906 calories, 39g fat (12g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 346mg sodium, 132g carbohydrate (76g sugars, 4g fiber), 7g protein.
May 24, 2017
Easy to make, these were excellent. Following the lead of another reviewer, I also used 1/4 tsp each of cinnamon and nutmeg because I also didn't have redhots on hand. They were incredibly delicious. I will definitely keep this recipe and make it again.
Oct 12, 2016
These are everything an apple dumpling should be. Light, flaky pastry, flavorful apple filling and the sauce. The red hot candies are the perfect addition. They add such a beautiful color and flavor. These are rich and decadent.
Feb 8, 2011
After baking, pour the sauce on top of the dumplings and presto! Apple pie. This was phenomenal, everyone should try this recipe.
Oct 18, 2010
Oh my! These were so delicious I made them two days in a row. I substituted 1/4tsp. cinnamon and 1/4tsp. nutmeg for the redhots since I didn't have any on hand. This is definitely a keeper!!!
Jan 27, 2010
No comment left