Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Cook: 5 min./batch
Makesabout 1-1/2 dozen
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup apple cider
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, whisk together first 10 ingredients. In another bowl, whisk together eggs, cider and melted butter. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened. Refrigerate, covered, until firm enough to shape, about 1 hour.
- Divide dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, pat each portion to 1/2-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. doughnut cutter.
- In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry doughnuts, a few at a time until golden brown, 2-3 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels. If desired, dust with confectioners' sugar.
Nutrition Facts1 doughnut: 217 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 229mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Nov 19, 2016
I made these today. My husband loved them. I did not use powdered sugar for the coating. Instead, I made an apple pie spice sugar blend. I took 1 tablespoon of apple pie spice and mixed it with 1/4 cup of granulated sugar. I placed the mix in a brown bag and let the donuts cool slightly and then shook the donuts up in the bag.
Jan 3, 2015
These came out so good. Don't over mix the dough or they will be tough. I mixed them by hand, just until they were moist. Really great recipe.
Oct 16, 2014
These were good, but I think they could have used more flavor. I dipped some in the maple glaze and some in cinnamon sugar.
Feb 23, 2014
These doughnuts are nice and moist and have a great spice to them. You won't taste the apple cider but the spices due remind you for cider. These are easy to make and always a hit when I serve them. I love that it includes whole wheat flour. Like others have mentioned, they are great with cinnamon sugar.
Nov 3, 2013
These delicious donuts are easy to make! I roll them in cinnamon-sugar instead of using confectioners' sugar, which my husband really likes.
Oct 4, 2011
These were great...super easy , and I used my fry daddy! I rolled them in cinnamon & sugar. Plus, I didn't have any cardamom, so I substituted cloves.
Sep 28, 2011
These doughnuts were delicious, but tasted nothing like apple cider. I think I will save my cider for other things and go back to my old doughnut recipe.
Sep 27, 2011
Excellent doughnuts, my grandchildren can hardly wait for me to get them done!!
Oct 16, 2006
No comment left
Aug 22, 2006
No comment left