Chunky Cheese Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, combine the first seven ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until the vegetables are tender. Add ham.
- In another saucepan, melt the butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cheese until melted; add to the soup.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 267 calories, 17g fat (11g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 936mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 13g protein.
Jan 21, 2020
Feb 23, 2019
Delicious! I used frozen diced potatoes and added them to the cheese sauce. I also added fresh diced cauliflower, frozen corn, and white beans.
Dec 21, 2017
Made this today, 12-20-17 and it is delicious.
Dec 24, 2012
This soup was great! I omitted the salt and cooked the vegetables in seasoned chicken broth. I also increased the amount of broth by maybe 1/2 cup and increased the vegetables because I like my soups chock full of goodies. I also used sharp cheddar for the cheese, and was pleased to find that the soup had a smooth texture, not a grainy one.
Oct 13, 2012
Great fall recipe. Definately a keeper. The only thing I changed was using Velveeta.
Nov 24, 2011
No comment left
Mar 26, 2011
I also enjoyed this recipe. I made in a crock pot, and used an immersion blender to disguise the veggies for my veggie haters. They LOVED it!
Dec 29, 2010
Instead of celery, I used red and green pepper.
Oct 29, 2010
wow this was very tasteful. I used monteray jack cheese and it was good
Sep 2, 2010
used chicken broth instead of water. very good