Chunky Breakfast Cookies
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min./batch
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 large egg yolk, room temperature
- 1-1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chunks
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and egg yolk. In another bowl, mix oats, flours, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Shape 1/4 cupfuls of dough into balls; flatten to 3/4-in. thickness. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake 13-15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool. Serve warm or at room temperature. To reheat, microwave each cookie on high for 15-20 seconds or just until warmed.
Freeze option: Freeze unbaked cookies in a freezer container, separating layers with waxed paper. To use, place dough portions 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes before baking. Bake as directed, increasing time by 1-2 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 291 calories, 15g fat (9g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 239mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jul 9, 2020
These cookies ending up being pretty good with some adjustments to fit my family’s tastes. I used Splenda brown sugar and doubled the conversion amount, two whole eggs, added 1 tsp of vanilla, used figs since I didn’t have dates and unsweetened coconut. These are not a dessert cookie but a breakfast cookie.
Jun 19, 2016
These cookies have no taste at all. They need some vanilla or some flavoring. They are also dry. I will not be keeping this recipe.
Jun 4, 2016
I will bake less time next time as they weren't as soft, moist as we would've liked. I may also try substituting some butter for Greek yogurt next time.
Feb 24, 2016
Thanks for a healthy and yummy cookie recipe! I doubled the recipe with the following modifications: I used 1/2 cup butter, 1/4 cup milk and 3/4 cup canola oil instead of all butter. I used only 1 cup brown sugar, 3 whole eggs, only 1 cup chocolate chips and added a teaspoon of vanilla. Also I used my regular cookie scoop and baked for less time at 375 degrees. Next time I will add walnuts or pecans.