Chunky Beef Noodle Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 1 hour 40 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 1 pound boneless round steak, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef consomme, undiluted
- 1 to 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup uncooked spiral pasta
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, cook the steak, onion and garlic in oil for 5 minutes or until meat is browned and onion is tender.
- Stir in the water, tomatoes, consomme and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Stir in pasta and green pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until pasta is tender. Add parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 157 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 628mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 16g protein.
Feb 25, 2015
Nice soup. Next time I would add more vegetables.
Nov 1, 2014
Great recipe as is, or to build on. I added a little more steak and 1/2 lb of sweet Italian sausage to make the boys in my family happy. The seasoning in the sausage combined nicely with the recipe's seasoning. I also added some diced carrot for color (in the 1 1/2 hours of simmering, which is when I added the green pepper). It would work well with other vegetables, and/or a bit of sour cream. It's delicious-- even better the next day! It's good to have a 5-star steak soup recipe as an alternative to seafood, chicken, or hamburger soups.
Jul 29, 2014
I have made this soup for years. I do not recall where I first found it, but was not a Taste of Home publication. It is not only my husbands favorite soup, but also has been a hit with countless others to whom I have served it. The only variation is I eliminated the green pepper. Though I use peppers freqently we do not care for them with this soup. Otherwise, this dish is hearty and delicious, and in my regular rotation of soups served.
Jan 20, 2013
No comment left
Oct 5, 2011
Very yummy - will absolutely make again!
Jan 19, 2011
This was a delicious soup. My husband absolutely loved it. I added some mixed vegetables and a can of beef broth so it wasn'tto thick. I will definitely make this again and keep this as one of my favorite soups.
Oct 20, 2010
This is one of the soups my husband often asks me to make. It is one of his favourites. I pick up marinating steaks when on sale and make this very cheaply.
Jan 11, 2010
Very much enjoyed this flavorful soup. Next time, I think I'll omit the teaspoon of salt to bring the sodium content down a bit.
Dec 16, 2009
This is the tastiest beef noodle soup. When I make it for other people it is a sure hit! Thank you for sharing your delicious recipe!
Dec 17, 2008
this is yummy and I've made it without the meat and it's still great! A great starter soup.