Chunky Asparagus Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
Makes8-10 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed and chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 jar (4 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 tablespoon diced pimientos
- 4 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1/2 pound process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- In a large saucepan, saute the asparagus, onion and garlic in butter for 8-10 minutes or until tender. Add curry powder; simmer 5 more minutes. Add mushrooms and pimientos. Stir in broth and milk. Heat, but do not boil. Add cheese cubes and stir until melted.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 163 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 779mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 9g protein.
Jul 10, 2014
I've been making this recipe for a number of years and it's definitely a favorite! I omit the the pimento and add cooked carrots and bacon instead.
May 24, 2013
No comment left
Mar 25, 2013
I've made various asparagus soups, but this one is special by the curry powder - perfect! I will also use freshly-sauteed mushrooms, not canned, and will add some frozen hash browns as I do to most soups for a bit more chowder consistency. Asparagus soup tastes like spring!