Chunky Apple Bread
These rugged loaves are chock-full of goodies, including tender apple chunks, nuts and chewy raisins. "They freeze well and are wonderful to have on hand for drop-in company," relates Joan Hallford of North Richland Hills, Texas.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- In a bowl, combine the eggs, sugar, buttermilk, mayonnaise and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt; add to egg mixture and beat just until combined. Fold in apples, raisins and walnuts. Spoon into two greased 8x4-in. loaf pans.
- Bake at 375° for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
Editor's NoteReduced-fat or fat-free mayonnaise may not be substituted for regular mayonnaise in this recipe.
Reduced-fat or fat-free mayonnaise is not recommended for this recipe.