Total TimePrep: 15 min. + rising Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 cup chopped mixed candied fruit
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- Additional candied fruit, optional
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add the evaporated milk, sugar, shortening, salt, eggs and 2 cups of flour; beat until smooth. Stir in mixed candied fruit and enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (do not knead).
- Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/4 hours.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 3-4 minutes. Pat evenly into a greased 10-in. tube pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to cool on a wire rack.
- Combine the confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough milk to reach desired consistency; drizzle over bread. Garnish with additional candied fruit if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 214 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 87mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Mar 17, 2016
Great recipe! It was quick and super easy. I wanted cinnamon raisin bread so instead of the candied fruit I added 1 cup of raisins and when it was time to knead the dough I alternately sprinkled in lines of cinnamon. It was amazing! I can't wait to make this for the holidays using the candied fruit. Thanks so much for sharing!
Dec 21, 2012
No comment left