Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 1 package chocolate fudge cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (6 ounces) instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1/2 cup strong coffee
- 1 carton (12 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 6 Heath candy bars (1.4 ounces each), crushed
- Bake cake according to package directions. Cool. Prepare pudding according to package directions; set aside.
- Crumble cake; reserve 1/2 cup. Place half of the remaining cake crumbs in the bottom of a 4-1/2- or 5-qt. trifle dish or decorative glass bowl.
- Layer with half of the coffee, half of the pudding, half of the whipped topping and half of the crushed candy bars. Repeat the layers of cake, coffee, pudding and whipped topping.
- Combine remaining crushed candy bars with reserved cake crumbs; sprinkle over top. Refrigerate 4-5 hours before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 396 calories, 12g fat (8g saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 569mg sodium, 66g carbohydrate (41g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Jun 1, 2019
I found this recipe in TOH years ago. I made it and took it to work. Since then, I'm expected to bring it whenever we get together. I use Heath chips instead of the bars and always make it the night before. It is always a hit!! Thanks for a great recipe.
Feb 15, 2019
This was a good trifle, but my family wasn't blown away so I probably won't make it again. They have other TOH dessert recipes they LOVE. However, this was very simple to make and would be great for a potluck.
Jan 30, 2019
I found this recipe years ago. It was a favorite at the church as well as family parties. It's still one of my go to desserts. So easy and absolutely delicious!
Jan 4, 2019
<a href="https://diabetesindiastore.com/diabetic-friendly-food/diabetics-dezire-natural-sugar-substitute-250-gms/p-0310184-27034204098-cat.html''>dezire sugar free</a> ia also a good option
Dec 26, 2015
is frozen whipped topping just frozen whipped cream if not can you use it
May 27, 2015
Was asked to make a trifle for a funeral dinner at my church. I made it as per the recipe but did use the bagged Heath chips as well. I had a bit of each ingredient left and made a sampling for myself…and was not disappointed!! Wonderful fusion of flavors. Lovely presentation in a trifle bowl. Will definitely make this again!
Dec 21, 2014
My mother in law asked me to bring a chocolate trifle to our family Christmas party. This was a big hit!! I didn't have a cake mix or a pudding mix, so I made both of those from scratch. I also used real whipping cream and Heath chips. I was worried that the coffee flavor would be too much, but it wasn't. Thanks for the recipe!
Dec 10, 2014
Found this recipe years ago in the TOH magazine. Can't wait to make again! It's easy to make, delicious and always gets rave reviews. I too use the bagged Heath chips, much easier.
Dec 1, 2014
We make this recipe for every family gathering. I omit the coffee, but I would like to try the recipe as written sometime. Since there is almond in the Heath bars and my niece is allergic to nuts, we recently revised the recipe. In place of the crushed Heath bars, I added crushed Oreo cookies. Both recipes are equally delicious!
Oct 23, 2013
First off I love trifles (know not everyone does) but this one is always a hit at family gatherings. I also like that you can make this the night ahead. Really rich and delicious!