Chocolate-Strawberry Celebration Cake
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (3.9 ounces) instant chocolate pudding mix
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
- 1 pound fresh strawberries, hulled
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350°. Combine the first seven ingredients; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Transfer to two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 28-32 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, cream butter, confectioner's sugar and cocoa until light and fluffy. Beat in milk until smooth. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake.
- Pipe or spoon melted chocolate onto waxed paper in decorative designs; let stand until set.
- For ganache, place chocolate in a small bowl. Heat cream just to a boil; pour over chocolate and whisk until smooth. Drizzle over top of cake, allowing ganache to drape down the sides. Arrange strawberries on top of cake. Top with chocolate garnishes.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 917 calories, 56g fat (31g saturated fat), 179mg cholesterol, 681mg sodium, 103g carbohydrate (79g sugars, 5g fiber), 9g protein.
May 24, 2020
My brother put a wonderful cream in the middle and it was decadent! The most delicious chocolate cake I've EVER tasted! I ALWAYS request this cake for my birthday!
Feb 14, 2020
Super great recipe! The cake was delicious, and my family loved it. The only thing I would change is the butter in the frosting, just because I thought it was a little much. It made a lot more than I needed, so next time I’d reduce everything by half. Other than that, perfect!
Dec 24, 2019
I skipped the frosting all together and just dressed it up with ganache dribble, centered with strawberries and blueberries. I skipped the oil and did it with applesauce. What a beautiful cake. I wish I could post a picture. I'm proud!!
Apr 16, 2018
I made this cake for an auction. The cake itself and rich and decadent. The frosting seemed more like a mousse to me. It wasn't too sweet but airy. Nothing to add on the ganache and strawberries. They are what they are. The auctioneer saved this to be the last thing auctioned off because it looked so good. It sold for $150. Wow!!
Feb 9, 2018
which cake mix is good - Duncan hines devil food or Williams Sonoma degvil food or something else for this recipe alone?
Dec 10, 2017
Awesome, super moist & chocolatey I added strawberries to eat I definately think it was the best desssert at the party. Will make again
Aug 3, 2017
I started making this recipe in 2010 when I was it in the magazine and haven't stopped! It is very rich so I only use a single layer at a time. The cake (minus frosting) also freezes very well. Then I can thaw the cake and frost it for an easy item to bring. I make 1/3 of the butter frosting recipe for the single layer, but keep the ganache the same. I top with a variety of fruits including strawberries, raspberries, blue berries & kiwi. Each single layer piece is still packed with flavor and allows for more servings with a large party.
Jan 19, 2017
I've made this several times. Very moist and delicious. I did only use 1/12 cups of real butter. It worked fine. The presentation was fabulous!
Dec 26, 2016
No way too many calories for one slice of cake!
Jul 21, 2016
Of all the desserts I've made - this one is the one that has been the biggest hit! Amazing frosting on this cake, and don't skip that ganache!