Chocolate-Peanut Butter Sheet Cake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped salted or unsalted peanuts
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 13x9-in. baking pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. In a small saucepan, combine water, butter, peanut butter and cocoa; bring just to a boil, stirring occasionally. Add to flour mixture, stirring just until moistened.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs, sour cream and vanilla until blended; add to flour mixture, whisking constantly. Transfer to prepared pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 25-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare frosting. In a large bowl, beat confectioners' sugar, peanut butter, milk and vanilla until smooth.
- Remove cake from oven; place pan on a wire rack. Immediately spread cake with frosting; sprinkle with peanuts. Cool completely.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 482 calories, 20g fat (7g saturated fat), 59mg cholesterol, 337mg sodium, 70g carbohydrate (53g sugars, 2g fiber), 9g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jun 22, 2020
We love cakes and I was excited to bake this one. Our whole family enjoys chocolate-pb combinations. First off, the frosting was very tasty. (i read every previous review and we started with half the amount of powdered sugar and added to taste.) We cooled the cake for over 2 hours and made sure it was cool before frosting cake and we kept in frig until ready to eat. Frosting did not pool and kept it's texture. That said, we were hoping for a rich, delicous chocolate cake. The consistency of this cake was more like store bought and there was no rich flavor- tasted more like a light German chocolate cake. I found for the amount of steps and ingredient prices, I rather just purchase boxed cake mix and top with this peanut butter frosting. I'm not sure most people could taste the difference. Was not a favorite in our house enough to make again.
Apr 26, 2020
This is delicious as written but I will make some modifications when I make it again such as adding coffee instead of water to enhance the chocolate taste
Apr 16, 2020
Loved it. I made more than once. It's a keeper, I made as the recipe called. I will not change a thing..
Dec 25, 2019
Like the review- the frosting was way too sweet. Once I made it I added a small thing of cream cheese which cut down the overly sugary taste. Waited till it cooled. Was a hit! Highly recommend adding cream cheese to the frosting!
Jul 21, 2019
We followed the instructions and thought it was far far too sweet, probably half the sugar would have done. The peanut butter flavour was good but our icing was extremely runny and ran straight off the cake - in hindsight we should have added that slowly as we beat the icing. I would make it again but with a significantly reduced quantity of sugar
Jun 23, 2019
I thought the cake had a slightly "rubbery" texture compared to other similar recipes I've made, but it had the perfect peanut butter to chocolate balance. Overall, it was a tasty cake.
Jul 12, 2018
Delicious, moist, rich cake. Good peanut butter flavor in the cake, even without the frosting. I waited a little while to frost it based on earlier reviews, but it was not long enough. The frosting still melted and pooled at the edges. I recommend waiting until the cake has cooled completely.
Jun 12, 2018
Great and tasty cake with minor changes made: buttermilk instead of sour cream, 1/8 of peanut butter, with 1/2 cup of boiled water. Used different icing which was cream cheese. Overall delicious.
Mar 12, 2018
This is a good cake. I made one half recipe baked in an 8-inch cake pan. The cake batter was very thick which made me think the cake would not turn out, but it was actually very good. It might be a good idea to note in the directions that the batter will be very thick. I adjusted the amount of powdered sugar in the frosting to suit our taste. I may try another frosting recipe next time. Overall, this was a good cake.
Jul 22, 2017
We love PB and chocolate together and this recipe satisfies our sweet tooth!!