Chocolate Ice Cream
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Process: 20 min./batch + freezing
Makesabout 2-1/2 quarts
- 4 cups whole milk
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 cans (12 ounces each) evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- Whole milk
- In a large saucepan, heat milk to 175°; stir in the sugar, cocoa and flour until dissolved. Whisk a small amount of the hot mixture into the egg and egg yolks. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture reaches at least 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon. Remove from the heat. Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes. Stir in evaporated milk and vanilla. Press waxed paper onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; add enough milk to fill cylinder 3/4 full. freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze. When ice cream is frozen, transfer to a freezer container; freeze for 2-4 hours before serving.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 148 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 44mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein.
Jul 6, 2014
The directions were a little hard to follow, but the ice cream turned out great!
Jul 24, 2012
We had a problem with the egg and the flour. Maybe you're supposed to whisk the hot mixture into the flour? And take the hot mixture off the stove before adding the egg?
May 28, 2011
No comment left
Apr 25, 2010
My husband and I had never made ice cream before, but this was really easy and quite tasty! Next time, we're thinking about using half and half instead of milk for the final filler.
Aug 1, 2009
The recipe ingredients say "1 eggs" which makes me wonder if there's an error. Is it one egg, or supposed to be more than one?
Jun 13, 2009
No comment left
Mar 15, 2009
Yum! I used this recipe with cream instead of milk, and also added chopped mint chocolates. I enjoyed it both with and without the chocolates, and got rave reviews from friends. A definite keeper!