Chocolate Hazelnut Torte
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup brewed coffee, room temperature
- 7 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/3 cup Nutella
- Chocolate curls and hazelnuts, optional
- In a small bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy, 5-7 minutes. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream and coffee. Beat just until combined.
- Pour into 2 greased and floured 6-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small saucepan, melt chocolate with cream and sugar over low heat; stir until smooth. Remove from the heat; whisk in Nutella. Transfer to a small bowl; cover and refrigerate until frosting reaches spreading consistency, stirring occasionally.
- Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Garnish with chocolate curls and hazelnuts if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 768 calories, 45g fat (25g saturated fat), 130mg cholesterol, 386mg sodium, 89g carbohydrate (66g sugars, 4g fiber), 9g protein.
Apr 26, 2018
This recipe is perfect for a small gathering, because there are no leftovers to be tempted by. The cake is so rich and delicious that a little slice goes a long way, so you still could feed 8 with it at a small dinner party. I will definitely make again, but I will halve the ganache topping next time. I saved mine for another use, because there is just too much.
Nov 2, 2011
Eexcellent moist cake. Pretty much the same as my original chocolate cake so family loved it.