Chocolate Dream Pie
What an impressive finish our Test Kitchen whipped up with this dreamy, creamy chocolate pie topped with peaks of golden meringue! It’s sure to be a family favorite.
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min. + chilling
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 6 to 7 teaspoons cold water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups fat-free evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. Add oil and buttermilk; toss with a fork. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork, until a ball forms. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to a pie plate coated with cooking spray. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. With a fork, prick bottom and sides of pastry. Line with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 6-8 minutes longer or until light golden. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cocoa, cornstarch and salt. Stir in milk and water until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir in chocolate until smooth; stir in extracts. Pour into pastry shell; set aside.
- For meringue, in a small bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Spread evenly over filling, sealing edges to crust.
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour; refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving.