Chocolate Chip Carrot Bread
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 to 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, combine the first nine ingredients. In a small bowl, beat the eggs, orange juice, oil and vanilla. Stir into the dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in the carrots and chocolate chips.
- Transfer to two greased 8x4-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 176 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 150mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Apr 18, 2017
Very tasty! The bread was moist but did crumble easily. Per the recommendation of an earlier reviewer, I decreased both the brown and white sugars by 1/4 each to 3/4 of a cup. Doing so still resulted in a sweet loaf! I also liked the slightly spicy element that came courtesy of the cinnamon, ginger, and cloves.
Apr 27, 2010
Excellent! I decreased the sugar to 3/4 cup white sugar and 3/4 cup brown sugar and it was plenty sweet. I used the larger amounts of cinnamon and cloves.
Oct 29, 2009
I use carrots from my garden which are sweeter than the store's so I only use 1/2 c sugar and 1/2 c brown sugar. I also make this with dark chocolate chips. It is wonderful. I make it every year at the end of the season and freeze a bunch of loaves (and muffins).
May 17, 2009
No comment left