Chocolate Chiffon Cake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + cooling Bake: 1 hour + cooling
- 7 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 1-3/4 cups cake flour
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/3 cup butter
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 to 4 tablespoons hot water
- Chopped nuts, optional
- Let eggs stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a bowl, combine cocoa and water until smooth; cool for 20 minutes. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks, oil and vanilla; add to dry ingredients along with the cocoa mixture. Beat until well blended. In another large bowl and with clean beaters, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on high speed until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold into egg yolk mixture.
- Gently spoon batter into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through the batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on lowest rack at 325° for 60-65 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert pan; cool completely. Run a knife around sides and center tube of pan. Invert cake onto a serving plate.
- For icing, melt butter in a saucepan. Remove from the heat; stir in the confectioners' sugar, chocolate, vanilla and water. Drizzle over cake. Sprinkle with nuts if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 268 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 73mg cholesterol, 262mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Jun 27, 2020
No comment left
May 13, 2019
Excellent, Excellent Cake!!!! My family loves this chocolate chiffon cake. Our family makes lots of chiffon cakes and this chocolate cake by far is a Winner! Always moist and great chocolate taste!
Dec 11, 2018
It's as good as it looks!!! I made this for a birthday, and it had rave reviews. Chocolatey, and had good body to it. I will make this again, but I'm going to try chocolate ganache in place of drizzle.
Feb 5, 2018
No comment left
Jul 12, 2017
Hi cakes recipe looks tempting by I query anything replacing canola oil which cn find easy in localThanx maahi
Feb 4, 2017
Me and my family loved this cake. Instead of the orange glaze I used melted chocolate. Delicious!
Feb 24, 2016
I have made this cake many times since it was in the Taste of Home issue. Absolutely delicious and always gets wonderful compliments.
Oct 29, 2015
Easy to make and delicious.
Mar 22, 2015
i have searched for a good choc chiffon cake and every time I made one I couldn't get it dark enough, but this is what I wll make, as I wanted to make 2 chiffon cakes today,, thank you. from reading the ingredients, it sounds delicious. Thank you.
Oct 28, 2014
It was a great tasting moist cake. It did seep out the bottom of my two piece, tube pan slightly in the oven. I would use a bundt pan the next time. I was surprised how sponge like it really was and the icing was yummy!