Chocolate Caramel Bars
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 package (11 ounces) caramels
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk, divided
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 package German chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- In a small saucepan over low heat, melt caramels with 1/4 cup milk; stir until smooth. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, cream butter until light and fluffy. Beat in dry cake mix and remaining milk.
- Spread half of the dough into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 6 minutes; sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Gently spread caramel mixture over chips. Drop remaining dough by tablespoonfuls over caramel layer. Return to the oven for 15 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 185 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 161mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Aug 8, 2020
Love, love, love these bars! Made them for my mom’s social distanced birthday picnic.
Mar 20, 2018
These are absolutely fantastic. Everyone loves them. The stuff dreams are made of.
Feb 4, 2016
Whenever I make these, they disappear almost before I can finish cutting them. They are the best bars ever. I've tried using the caramel chips, but the bars didn't turn out near as good. It's definitely worth the time to unwrap the regular caramels!!!
Oct 28, 2015
These bars are chewy like a brownie and have lots of chocolate flavor. I used a dark chocolate cake mix. I asked my husband to unwrap the caramels since he was the only one who would be eating them.
Apr 16, 2015
Has anyone Tried to use caramel topping for this?
Feb 10, 2015
This turns out awesome every time!!! I made it with Devils food cake mix and caramel bits...perfect!!!
May 28, 2014
Winner! We actually call them "almost better than sex" bars, because they are almost that good!
Jul 30, 2013
No comment left
Jun 3, 2012
My family loves!
Mar 28, 2011
I have made these decadent caramel brownies many, many times over the past 20 years. They continue to receive rave reviews wherever I take them. Unwrapping the caramels takes a lot of time but it is worth the effort. Highly recommended!