Chocolate Bavarian Torte
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 package devil's food cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 2 tablespoons grated semisweet chocolate
- Prepare and bake cake according to package directions, using two 9-in. round baking pans. Cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and salt until smooth. Fold in cream.
- Cut each cake horizontally into 2 layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; top with a fourth of the cream mixture. Sprinkle with a fourth of the chocolate. Repeat layers 3 times. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 495 calories, 33g fat (16g saturated fat), 111mg cholesterol, 475mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Jul 26, 2020
It says to add 1/4 of the chocolate over each layer, but the recipe does not call for any chocolate. Help
May 21, 2020
No comment left
Feb 23, 2020
I have been making this since it appeared in Taste of Home magazine in 1996. It is easy and DELICIOUS!
Mar 5, 2019
The recipe itself is more like the Hostess " SuzyQ". Any way made as stated - it tasted just like it, my fav as a child. ( I did substitute the 2/3 cup of brown sugar rather than 1/3, as stated by another reviewer) Made for the kids and they love it!! If i want this to taste like the "ding dong" I will add a layer of chocolate icing. I'll let you know how that turns out. :)
Nov 8, 2018
I'd change nothing. Absolutely delicious. My husband and family loved it. Thank you
Apr 12, 2015
This was really tasty! My cakes came out a bit flat and broke apart a bit when I took them out of the pan so I made the ingredients into a Trifle instead. It was still a hit with everyone and my company took some home!
Feb 12, 2015
I can't use whipping cream could I use Cool Whip in place of?
Feb 10, 2015
I LOVE this recipe. My grandchildren call this "Ding Dong Cake" and it's always a winner! The filling really MAKES this cake a success!
Jan 18, 2015
I LOVED this cake!!!! The cream filling could be eaten by the table spoon!! I made a big one using two cake mixes, using 10 inch pans! Beautiful!!
Oct 28, 2014