Chipotle Chicken and Beans
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 3/4 cup water, divided
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 bacon strips, diced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chopped plum tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 4-1/2 teaspoons minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- In a small saucepan, bring 1/2 cup water and broth to a boil. Stir in rice. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-18 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Meanwhile, cut each chicken breast half widthwise into six strips. Sprinkle with salt. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook chicken for 5 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 1/2 teaspoon drippings. In the drippings, saute onion until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the tomatoes, cumin and cinnamon; cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the cranberry sauce, chipotle peppers, lime juice and remaining water. Bring to a boil.
- Return chicken to the pan. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 6-10 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Remove and keep warm. Add rice and beans to the skillet; heat through. Serve chicken over bean mixture; sprinkle with bacon.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 366 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 501mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 7g fiber), 32g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dec 14, 2012
Admittedly, the first time I tried this I wasn't sold on it. A few weeks later, we tried it again and loved it. Now I cut up the chicken into small pieces, and we eat it in tortillas. We call them cranbitos!
Oct 27, 2010
Excellent! Making again right now, love the chipotle & cranberry combo. I was skeptical at first but this is now my husbands favorite dish. I left out the bacon, tossed it all in the crock pot (made the rice separate) and used a small can 7oz of chipotle and whole can of whole-cranberry. YUM-MO!
Feb 16, 2010
Come on folks, get brave and try this! It is very good. We love it.