Chili Mac & Cheese
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2 packages (7-1/4 ounces each) macaroni and cheese dinner mix
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chiles, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°. Set aside cheese packets from dinner mixes. In a large saucepan, bring 2 quarts water to a boil. Add macaroni; cook until tender, 8-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook and stir beef and onion over medium heat until beef is no longer pink, 8-10 minutes; drain. Stir in tomatoes, tomatoes and green chiles, tomato sauce and seasonings. Drain macaroni; add to beef mixture. Stir in contents of cheese packets, sour cream and 1 cup cheese.
- Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; top with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, until bubbly, 20-25 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 631 calories, 35g fat (17g saturated fat), 105mg cholesterol, 1286mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 3g fiber), 35g protein.
Jul 2, 2019
I cut recipe in half, using two 7-oz. cans of Rotel which gives me 14 oz. of tomatoes. Very good recipe.
Nov 1, 2018
I cut this in half and it was very tasty, reheated well.
Mar 19, 2018
Yummy and super fast. I modified a bit as we are moving and a lot of my stuff is already packed. So I subbed ground breakfast sausage, taco seasoning, chili powder and a little leftover spaghetti meat sauce for the ground beef, tomato sauce and other seasonings.
Jan 17, 2017
This is a wonderful way to use boxed mac & cheese to create a very budget friendly dinner the kids just love! My kids gobbled this up, and didn't complain about having left overs the next day. So it reheats pretty well. This is tasty, kid friendly, and cheap. I give it 4 out of 5 stars only because it's not the most nutritious meal. Tons of calories and fat, not to mention high in sodium. But for a once in awhile "I'm in a pinch" kind of dinner, it's perfect!
Jan 12, 2017
Excellent meal! I halved the recipe for just the two of us, and have plenty for another meal. My husband is thrilled. I added some fresh diced jalapeno because we love spicy, and a few crushed chips on the top, but other than that I made as the recipe stated. Quick to put together and so delicious!
May 14, 2016
this makes a TON of food - you can parcel it out and take to lunch for a week. comfort food carbs and protein
Sep 26, 2015
Great recipe. Had all the kids and grandkids over and it was a hit with all. The recipe is a keeper.
Sep 9, 2015
This really just did not do this for us!
Mar 9, 2015
Fantastic and super easy!
Jun 29, 2014