Nothing tickles appetites quicker than these spicy tidbits. It's like eating chili in a muffin. I like assembling and freezing them ahead of time to beat the Christmas rush in my kitchen.
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake/Broil: 10 min./batch
Makesabout 5 dozen
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 loaves (1 pound each) sliced Italian bread
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, cook beef, green pepper, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, water and seasonings. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cut circles from bread slices using a 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Press the circles into greased miniature muffin cups.
- Bake at 400° for 5-6 minutes or until lightly toasted. Remove from tins and cool on wire racks. Fill each bread cup with about 1 tablespoon chili mixture; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Broil for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is golden brown.
Editor's Note: Some slices of bread will yield two 2-1/2-in. circles and some slices only one. There may be bread slices left over.