Chiles Rellenos Quiche
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 35 min.
- Pastry for single-crust pie
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chiles
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 2 to 4 drops hot pepper sauce, optional
- In a pie plate, line unpricked crust with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack. Reduce heat to 350°.
- Sprinkle cornmeal over bottom of crust. In a small bowl, combine cheeses; set aside 1/2 cup for topping. Add chiles to remaining cheese mixture; sprinkle into crust.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, sour cream, cilantro and hot pepper sauce if desired. Pour into crust; sprinkle with reserved cheese mixture.
- Bake until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 35-40 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.
Freeze option: Cover and freeze unbaked quiche. To use, remove from freezer 30 minutes before baking (do not thaw). Preheat oven to 350°. Place quiche on a baking sheet; cover edge loosely with foil. Bake as directed, increasing time as necessary for a knife inserted in the center to come out clean.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 444 calories, 31g fat (18g saturated fat), 178mg cholesterol, 520mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 17g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jul 12, 2020
The flavor was very good but the quiche was runny and I was very disappointed since I served it to guests. I followed the directions explicitly for freezing the quiche as instructed and took it out of the freezer 30 minutes before baking. It took almost an hour to bake and it never did set up to a firm consistency. I would consider making it as a dip without the crust rather than a quiche.
Feb 28, 2020
Yes, you drain the green chiles! This is a delicious quiche for breakfast, lunch or dinner! Made this last Sunday and everyone raved about it!
Nov 12, 2017
Do you drain the can of green chilies?
May 5, 2013
Simple and easy I used Mozzarella instead of Monterey Jack cheese that is what I had.
Apr 27, 2013
now a family favorite - I used pepper jack cheese. Wonderful recipe thanks.
Feb 16, 2013
Mar 8, 2012
This is a favorite at our house. I use green Tabasco and a little bit more than the 2 to 4 drops. The filling can be mixed ahead of time and kept in the refrigerator, separate from the crust.