Chicken-Stuffed Green Peppers
Total TimePrep: 1 hour Bake: 30 min.
- 4 large green peppers
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups diced cooked chicken
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 package (6 ounces) long grain brown and wild rice blend
- 1/3 cup sliced celery
- 1/4 cup finely chopped carrots
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped zucchini
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cut tops off peppers; remove seeds. In a large kettle, cook peppers in boiling water for 3 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water. Place upside down on paper towels; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion and garlic in butter until tender. Add the chicken, broth, rice with contents of seasoning packet, celery, carrot, basil and thyme; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until the rice is almost tender.
- Remove from the heat; stir in the tomatoes, mushrooms and zucchini. Spoon rice mixture into the peppers; place in a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Spoon the remaining rice mixture around peppers.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until the peppers are tender and filling is heated through. Uncover and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese; bake 5 minutes longer.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 505 calories, 16g fat (7g saturated fat), 113mg cholesterol, 1423mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 6g fiber), 41g protein.
Feb 15, 2016
My husband really like this recipe, I love the versatility of it. I leave out the zucchini which I don't like, but add more mushrooms that I do. I've also used plain long grain and wild rice and added my own spices when I didn't have the boxed kind. I'm going to try to zip it up by using the canned diced tomatoes with chopped peppers which I think will work well. I don't use green peppers instead I use yellow or red.
Aug 2, 2013
Not the greatest most flavorful recipe. Good way to incorporate chicken and the bountiful green pepper harvest. Was better as leftovers.
Apr 27, 2013
No comment left
Mar 7, 2012
I added some hot peppers chopped up to spice it up some! Excellent
Nov 19, 2008
No comment left