Chicken Penne Casserole
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add chicken, onion, peppers and seasonings; saute until chicken is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- In a blender, pulse tomatoes and tomato paste, covered, until blended. Add to chicken mixture. Stir in broth; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until slightly thickened, 10-15 minutes.
- Drain pasta; toss with chicken mixture. Spoon half of the mixture into a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with half of the cheeses. Repeat layers.
- Cover and bake 30 minutes. Uncover; bake until heated through, 15-20 minutes longer.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 579 calories, 28g fat (12g saturated fat), 128mg cholesterol, 1357mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 4g fiber), 47g protein.
Jul 3, 2020
I really want to try this recipe but I live in a very hot climate and don't want to turn on my oven. Has anyone tried making it in a crock pot?
May 9, 2020
Excellent recipe, everyone loved it. The sauce would be great with any pasta. I am going to make a lasagna today using the sauce.
Apr 16, 2020
This did not take as long to make as I thought it would. I did do a few short cuts though. I didn't blend the tomatoes and it turned out just fine. I only simmered the chicken mixture 10 minutes and only left the dish in the oven for 10 minutes after uncovering. It still was delicious. Ground beef or sausage could easily replace the chicken. I'm not a big fan of chicken in red sauces but most dishes of this kind use beef or sausage so the chicken was a nice change of pace. The chicken could even be shredded or cut very small so it's not as noticeable. This could easily be prepared ahead of time for a busy next day. Prepare the chicken mixture and refrigerate since it's the step that takes the longest or prepare the entire dish and bake it the next day. We are a family of 5 and so there is only a few small servings left over. Next time I may double it and bake it in a 9x13 pan instead of an 8x8.
Dec 11, 2019
Made this for my family of picky eaters. I read previous comments as well prior to making. Yes it does take some prep time as people have statdd. Also, scared for it to be "bland" as I knew I'd be leaving out salt to accommodate sodium-restricted family members, I took the advice of doubling up the other spices. I used mozzarella, provalone and parmesan for the cheeses. This was a HUGE hit with everyone and I love that it seems like this recipe could leave room for a lot of little personal tweaks and substitutions if one so chose to implement any. Definitely committing this to the recipe book!
Nov 16, 2018
Made as directed. Wonderful flavor. I will definitely make this a regular!
Apr 4, 2018
Can this be made the night before and then baked the next day?
Mar 29, 2018
This recipe was a success :) I made a few changes- I didn't use red peppers because I had none, instead I threw in a can of those diced green chiles, gave it a nice flavor. Also, added two tablespoons of ricotta in with the sauce. Also, used a tiny bit more chicken than called for and to be honest I could have gone with even more chicken in retrospect! I would easily use 2lbs instead of 1 next time!
Feb 1, 2018
I made this but honestly I'm a quick short cut cook . I skipped the cooking the veg part ( added three kinds of sweet peppers , sliced mushrooms ), used half of a whole chicken which I chopped . Didn't have Romano cheese used Parmesan , I also used two generous teaspoons of Italian seasoning (all about substituting right) . I put it in a preheated 400 oven uncovered for 15 mins then turned the oven down to 350 for another 30 ,we loved it I would make it again.
Mar 24, 2017
Mar 11, 2017
Loved it, and the aroma in your kitchen will dazzle your senses. Followed to the recipe.