Chicken Parmesan Stuffed Shells
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1 package (12 ounces) uncooked jumbo pasta shells
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 3 cups part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 4 cups meatless pasta sauce
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced and halved
- Preheat oven to 375°. Cook shells according to package directions for al dente; drain. Toss with oil; spread in an even layer on a baking sheet.
- For filling, toss chicken with Italian seasoning, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute chicken just until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium; stir in butter until melted. Stir in bread crumbs; cook until crumbs are slightly toasted, 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, mix cheeses, milk, parsley and the remaining salt and pepper. Fold in chicken.
- Spread 2 cups pasta sauce into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Fill each shell with 2-1/2 tablespoons ricotta mixture; place over sauce. Top with remaining sauce and cheeses (dish will be full).
- Cover with greased foil; bake 30 minutes. Uncover; bake until heated through, 10-15 minutes.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 431 calories, 19g fat (10g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 752mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 28g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jul 14, 2020
This was delicious! My husband and kids loved it. The fresh mozzarella was the perfect topping. The only thing I did different because I already had it handy was used shredded boiled chicken. I will prepare for cubed chicken next time. This is definitely going in the recipe box of favorites to make again. Thank you!
Jan 13, 2020
Thank you for sharing this new “keeper” recipe for our family. I was very hesitant placing all the stuffed shells in one pan so I made two pans. Next time I’ll just make the one overstuffed pan and layer it neatly. Once again thank you for sharing!
Oct 5, 2019
Hi Ashleigh, You could use ground chicken, but my intent with using chopped chicken was for the butter and the bread crumbs to adhere to the chicken and get all toasty, mimicking the breading on Chicken Parm., I don’t think you’ll get that same effect with ground chicken Hi Debbie, I know cottage cheese can be substituted for ricotta, and I’ve seen it in many recipes. However, I have never tried it because it is it my cup of tea, so I can’t say if it would come out the same or as good.
Sep 18, 2019
What can be used in place of Ricotta chesse?
Sep 18, 2019
Was wondering if you could use ground chicken instead?