Chicken ‘n’ Dumpling Soup
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 1-3/4 hours
Makes20 servings (5 quarts)
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 3-1/2 pounds)
- 3 quarts water
- 1/4 cup chicken bouillon granules
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 6 cups uncooked wide noodles
- 4 cups sliced carrots
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables
- 3/4 cup sliced celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- In a stockpot, combine the first six ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours. Remove chicken; allow to cool. Strain broth; discard bay leaf and peppercorns.
- Remove chicken from bones; discard bones. Cut meat into bite-size pieces. Return broth to pan; skim fat. Add the chicken, noodles, vegetables, rice and parsley; bring to a simmer.
- For dumplings, combine the flour, baking powder, thyme and salt in a bowl. Combine milk and oil; stir into dry ingredients. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto simmering soup. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes (do not lift the cover).
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 198 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 650mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 12g protein.
Apr 16, 2012
No comment left
Oct 7, 2009
I enjoyed this recipe, I did omit the rice, I aded more noodles and dumplings. The next time I make this I will not use thyme in the dumplings, I just don't prefer the taste of time, I may try sage or rosemary. It was a good and comforting soup!
Jan 9, 2008
boneless chic-cubed add chic broth season your favorite spices- lots of chop onion+garlic lots of sage simmer 30 min. add ANNE's Dumplings from frozen dept. in grocery store -Last simmer about 5 min till dumplings are done..dress it up with sliced boiled eggs,chop parsley and lot of black pepper ---(the sage is what makes this )
Jan 9, 2008
i have a shorter way