Chicken Flowerpot Pie
I host a "welcome spring" luncheon for friends every year. I try to do something different and creative each time.—Mary Anne McWhirter, Pearland, Texas
Total TimePrep: 1-1/4 hours + chilling Bake: 30 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cold butter, cut into thin slices
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1/3 cup ice water
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 2 quarts water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen cut green beans
- 1-1/2 cups thinly sliced carrots
- 1 cup diced peeled potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- OTHER MATERIALS NEEDED:
- 6 new clay flowerpots (4-inch diameter)
- Canola oil
- Aluminum foil
- Decorative seed packets glued onto wooden craft sticks
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in butter and shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball; flatten into a circle. Chill for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- For filling, place the chicken, water, bay leaf and garlic in a Dutch oven. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 30-40 minutes or until chicken is tender. Remove and debone chicken; set aside. Skim fat. Add the beans, carrots, potatoes and basil to the broth. Cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in the mushrooms, peas and tomatoes; cover and simmer for 3-5 minutes. Drain vegetables and reserve broth; set side
- In another large kettle, melt butter. Whisk in flour until smooth. Add 1-1/2 cups of reserved stock. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. In a small bowl, whisk together egg yolks and cream. Whisk into the sauce; remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper. Gently stir in reserved chicken and vegetables.
- To assemble flowerpots, brush outsides of pots with oil. Line each with a 15x12-in. piece of aluminum foil; pressing the foil gently down into the pot and being careful not to tear it. Fill each pot with about 1-1/2 cups of filling, leaving about 1/2-in. headspace; set aside.
- Roll pastry to 1/8-in. thickness; cut six 6-in. circles. Place one circle on each flowerpot, turn down the edges and flute. Cut three vents in the center of each pastry. In a small bowl, lightly beat glaze ingredients; brush over each crust. Place flowerpots on a baking sheets. Bake at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly. Just before serving, garnish each with a seed packet on a stick.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.