Total TimePrep: 15 min. + marinating Cook: 20 min.
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts (6 ounces each)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Oil for frying
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- Cut the chicken into 1/2-in. strips; Combine the egg, buttermilk and garlic powder in a shallow dish; add chicken. Turn to coat.; cover and refrigerate for 2-4 hours.
- Drain and discard marinade. In another shallow dish, combine the flour, bread crumbs, salt and baking powder; add chicken. Toss to coat.
- In a deep cast-iron or electric skillet, heat oil to 375°. Fry the chicken in batches until golden brown on both sides, 4-5 minutes. Drain on paper towels. If desired, sprinkle with parsley.
Nutrition Facts6 ounce-weight: 363 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 131mg cholesterol, 882mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 42g protein.
Jul 29, 2020
These are so good! One tweak: instead of frying, melt some butter and carefully pour/brush it onto the strips and bake them. Oh my! Delicious and less mess, less fried scent. THANK YOU for sharing!
Jun 19, 2020
I have been using this recipe for years. My family loves it and it is simple with tons of flavor. I usually make a homemade honey mustard sauce to go with it. The buttermilk makes the chicken so moist and tender. Love this recipe!
Jul 5, 2019
This is an update. Yesterday I used this recipe to make chicken nuggets for the 4th of July. Everybody loved them. Thanks for the recipe.
Apr 30, 2019
The best chicken fingers I’ve ever made. I baked them though
Dec 13, 2018
You can also Add 1 Tsp. paprika
Jun 3, 2018
Great! Add 1 tsp paprika & 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper to the flour mix to fit our taste.
Jan 15, 2015
These were good. Made as written Would do again without any adjustments. Made them as part of appetizer night and their were no leftovers.
Jul 29, 2014
just finished making them. not good at all. very bland breading was falling off. i gave it 1 star cause i was required to do it!
May 11, 2014
Our whole family raved over this recipe. I will make it again!
Jan 17, 2013
This was great! I made it with gluten-free bread crumbs and gluten-free flour. My family loved it, and my daughter who has issues with gluten was thrilled!