Chicken & Dumpling Casserole
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen green peas
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 2 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2/3 cup 2% milk
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large saucepan, saute onion and celery in butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in flour, sugar, salt, basil and pepper until blended. Gradually add broth; bring to a boil. Cook and stir 1 minute or until thickened; reduce heat. Add peas and cook 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in chicken. Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- For dumplings, in a small bowl, combine baking mix and basil. Stir in milk with a fork until moistened. Drop by tablespoonfuls into mounds over chicken mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes. Cover and bake 10 minutes longer or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 393 calories, 17g fat (7g saturated fat), 80mg cholesterol, 1313mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 27g protein.
Jul 26, 2020
I made this recipe and it was not a hit in my house. I think the basil totally overwhelmed the taste.
Jul 24, 2020
No comment left
Mar 28, 2020
I cut this recipe in half to adjust for two. My only adjustment was using a small chicken breast to not overwhelm the gravy and peas and I cut the chicken into small dice . My husband said this is one of the best dishes I’ve ever made!
Mar 17, 2020
No comment left
Jan 13, 2020
I have been using this recipe for years but I always use carrots and small broccoli florets for the vegetables along with the onions and garlic. I also use thyme instead of basil for the spice. My family loves this casserole.
Nov 16, 2019
This has become a favorite and frequently requested in our house. I add mixed veggies and a little sage and less basil. ( a bit much basil for us!)
Oct 17, 2019
The flavor was simply not to our liking. Ate it—didn't want to throw food out, but definitely won't be making it again.
Oct 17, 2019
I started making this recipe years ago and it is still a family favorite. I love to make it and give it away when someone i know needs a meal after a death or birth or illness. I love it that my now grown children make this for their families too! Love the basil. I usually serve it with applesauce. Adding carats would be good too. You can always trust the recipes from Taste of Home!
Oct 5, 2019
Very disappointed. My skillet version with carrot, peas and herbs is so much better. My husband and I thought it didn't have very much flavor and the dumplings weren't fluffy and soft but tough and over done. Not a do a again.
Sep 29, 2019
Easy to make and great on a cold evening. I