Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup cooking sherry or water
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen cut or chopped broccoli, thawed
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 3 to 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- In a small saucepan, melt 1/4 cup butter. Add flour, stirring until blended. Stir in the cream and cooking sherry or water; cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 2 more minutes. Blend in soup until smooth; remove from the heat and set aside.
- Place broccoli in an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish. Cover with rice and then half of the sauce. Top with chicken. Stir shredded cheese into remaining sauce; pour over the chicken.
- Melt the remaining butter and toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over the casserole. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-45 minutes or until heated through.
Editor's NoteTo make soft bread crumbs, tear bread into pieces and place in a food processor or blender. Cover and pulse until crumbs form. One slice of bread yields 1/2 to 3/4 cup crumbs.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 412 calories, 24g fat (12g saturated fat), 98mg cholesterol, 798mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 22g protein.
Aug 12, 2020
I made this recipe and my family really enjoyed it. I used a half cup of sherry and I thought it was too much. I will use 1/4 cup next time. I did add some fresh tarragon and chives from my garden and it was delicious. This a rich and comforting casserole. I will make it again. I like the idea of adding the fried onions on top. Will try that next time.
Jul 3, 2020
With all due respect, if you don't add broccoli, it's not chicken divan. I've made something like this for many years. I've got this on my menu for the next time I cook a roast chicken. This is the recipe I will use.
May 13, 2020
Everyone loved this and a definite keeper! Made as is but did put some almonds on top,, took some to neighbors and they loved it too. Will be serving this to my bridge group when we start meeting again. Great find!
Feb 16, 2020
Delicious!! I used broccoli cheese and creamy cauliflower soups. I also didn’t have sherry, so I omitted it. I was afraid it would be too much, but it was absolutely my favorite version of chicken divan. I miss a crunch, so next time I’ll add some slivered almonds.
Feb 10, 2020
Everyone in my family loves this recipe. From adults to small children. I wouldn’t change a thing about it.
Sep 30, 2019
Folks...this is a delicious recipe. Chicken Divan is supposed to have broccoli in it, so providing a 1-star rating because you don't think it should include it, is pure poppy-cock! LOL I prefer using fresh broccoli, only because I think frozen adds more water content in the end result, but either is fine. This is a keeper, thank you!
Aug 16, 2019
The broccoli is way too strong for this delicate sauce. I will not make it again.
Feb 3, 2019
I made this per recipe the first time. I thought it could be better so the second time I changed it up a bit. Substituted 1 can cream of celery soup for the cream of chicken and crushed Stove Top stuffing for the soft bread crumbs. YUM!!
Dec 14, 2017
I cut this in half for just my husband and I and put it all in an 8x8 pan. I really think you could taste and smell the cooking sherry so I would definitely suggest using that over the water. The meal had a different flavor than I expected and we were pleasantly surprised. I do feel it could have done better with a bit more rice. I hate the texture of frozen broccoli so I used fresh that I had steamed. A good meal, but I'm not sure how the leftovers will hold up. 4-star for now, I'll update to 5 if the leftovers are still good.
Oct 1, 2017
This dish was rated very high by my family of 11, which is a hard feat to accomplish in this household. I did make a few changes tho, instead of half n’ half i made my own, and I used Chicken broth instead of Sherry, added more broccoli, doubled the rice and slightly more chicken, and for the bread crumbs I substituted crushed cornbread stuffing cubes…very tasty