Chicken Cordon Bleu Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
Makes6 servings (2 quarts)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small head cauliflower, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 cup finely cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- In a large saucepan, heat butter and oil over medium-high heat. Add cauliflower and onion; cook and stir until crisp-tender, 8-10 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in flour until blended; gradually whisk in broth. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until cauliflower is tender, 12-15 minutes.
- Puree soup using an immersion blender. Or, cool soup slightly and puree in batches in a blender; return to pan. Stir in chicken, cream, ham, mustard, salt and pepper; heat through. Stir in cheese until melted.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 481 calories, 32g fat (16g saturated fat), 141mg cholesterol, 1254mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 33g protein.
Feb 11, 2020
This was only so-so for my family. One of us liked it, one was neutral and one didn't like it at all. It was more work than it was worth, as well. The idea was ok, but it just wasn't as good as I had hoped.
Apr 5, 2019
Excellent recipe! I used the prechopped cauliflower to save time.
Dec 12, 2018
Great hearty winter soup! The instructions were easy to follow, and an immersion blender made it into soup very easily. Next time, I am going to cut down a little on the mustard. The cream smoothed everything out, but it was still a little strong for our tastes. It reheats very nicely and tastes great even as a leftover!
Nov 19, 2018
My niece made this soup and gave me some to try. She followed the recipe exactly and I must say, it was quite tasty! I really love cauliflower but was a little skeptical as to how it would be in this soup. All I noticed was a very slight cauliflower taste which really added to the soup and the texture was smooth and creamy. A must try for sure .... a great way to sneak vegetables into your diet!
Nov 17, 2018
Oct 28, 2018
Loved it! Super simple soup and very filling. Will be added into our soup night rotation!
Oct 20, 2018
Made as directed except I used 2 medium potatoes instead of cauliflower. Soup was quite tasty and went together very quickly. Will be added to our regular fall and winter rotation.