Chicken Burrito Skillet
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped
- Toss chicken with salt and pepper. In a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat; saute chicken until browned, about 2 minutes. Remove from pan.
- In same pan, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat; saute rice until lightly browned, 1-2 minutes. Stir in beans, canned tomatoes, seasonings and broth; bring to a boil. Place chicken on top (do not stir into rice). Simmer, covered, until rice is tender and chicken is no longer pink, 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from heat; sprinkle with cheese. Let stand, covered, until cheese is melted. Top with tomato and green onions.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 403 calories, 13g fat (4g saturated fat), 58mg cholesterol, 690mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 5g fiber), 27g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 fat.
Jul 9, 2020
I wanted to like it but it was just a bad recipe. I read all the reviews and some said it was bland so I doubled the seasonings and it was still extremely bland. My grown son hated it and my husband said it was barely edible, and I have to agree. This is the first time I have ever disliked a Taste of home recipe, and I have been using them for many many years. Oh well, sometimes you win and sometimes you lose!
Jun 16, 2020
So easy to make and taste incredible! I had leftover white rice and threw that in the pan. What I love about the recipe is that it is adaptable you can change it up and it is still easy and affordable. I am going to use shrimp next time. Thank you for the recipe.
May 3, 2020
We loved it! Not too spicy!
Apr 27, 2020
I made it as written, except that my chicken was already cooked. I added it just long enough to heat through before serving. I didn’t like this at all. I love Mexican dishes, but this was bland and soggy. Too much rice, and the rice was mushy after 20 minutes of simmering. I really wanted this to work, because it was so easy!
Feb 20, 2020
Made this exactly as stated in the recipe except I used 3 chicken breasts and it was absolutely incredible! My wife bought the Insta-Pot which is really amazing, and she does a great job making food with it but I just can't seem to adapt from traditional cooking methods. This was amazing and the most simple meal I've ever prepared. Perfect for four people....Every recipe I've ever tried from this website has been great! Definitely worth of 5 stars for sure. Oh! I used black beans, rinsed well of course.
Jan 13, 2020
I made this using a box mix for Spanish rice instead of white rice; browned the chicken with the rice, and used taco seasoning instead of chili powder. If you like heat in your food, you'll need to bump up the seasonings.. My husband who doesn't like much of anything new or anythîng other than plain foods (grilled cheese
Dec 30, 2019
I made this tonight. It was very good not only for me but also for my parents because this recipe is rather right flavored than other Mexican dishes. As I’m in Japan I couldn’t find green onion, but Japanese leek worked. So you can add or change other ingredients.
Dec 18, 2019
Made this tonight , it was delicious. The only change I made is I added taco seasoning when I sautéed the chicken .
Nov 9, 2019
I made this recipe tonight and I thought it was very good. I did think that it needed more spices. I added more black beans because I am trying to get more fiber in my dinners. I will make this recipe again because I like one skillet meals.
Oct 22, 2019
Very much liked the idea, speed of preparation and basic taste but found chicken was a bit overdone at the suggested cooking time, and I couldn't put it on the table as is is spiced as everyone in our house hold would have bitterly complained it was "bland" so I cooked the rice in a separate pan until almost done then added it to rest of recipe which I had spiced up more than just a bit. Loved the final product as did everyone and thanks for the nice foundation for a good chicken dish.