Chicken and Wild Rice Bake
Total TimePrep: 1 hour Bake: 50 min.
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- 2-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1 jar (2 ounces) chopped pimiento, drained
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup slivered almonds
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil; stir in rice and 1 teaspoon salt. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until kernels have puffed open, 45-50 minutes. Drain any excess water.
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat butter over medium-high heat; saute mushrooms and onion 5 minutes. Stir in rice, chicken, pimiento, parsley, pepper, broth, cream and remaining salt.
- Transfer to a 3-qt. or 13x9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese and almonds. Bake, uncovered, until heated through, 50-60 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 332 calories, 21g fat (10g saturated fat), 79mg cholesterol, 809mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 19g protein.
Dec 31, 2019
No comment left
Apr 30, 2019
Very tasty! Made exactly as written, except omitted pimentos
Jan 28, 2019
This Wild Rice dish was quite good. My daughter being a vegetarian, I grilled the chicken serving it separately, and to make up for the omitted meat I diced up a smaller amount of carrots and red peppers, sauteing them in butter along with the mushrooms before adding them to the cooked rice and other ingredients. I've never added only cream to a baked rice dish before, but the cream was a bonus. I'm not sure why the directions said to bake this so long. Half an hour is plenty of time. Also, mix the cheese into the rice. Sprinkling it on top results in crispy, chewy cheese. I will definitely make this again.
Jan 24, 2019
No comment left