Chicken and Pineapple Salad
"This salad takes a little time, but it is truly worth the few extra steps," writes Diane Sparrow, Osage, Iowa. "It has been a family favorite for years. It makes a nice summer lunch...or a fun first course for an Asian vegetable stir-fry."
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 15 min. + chilling
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 medium cucumber, quartered, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 large red onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- Lettuce leaves, optional
- 5 pineapple slices, halved
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Gradually add the pineapple juice, broth, vinegar, soy sauce and oil until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Cover and refrigerate.
- In a large bowl, toss chicken with soy sauce and ginger. In a large nonstick skillet, saute chicken in oil until no longer pink. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Combine the cucumber, onion, celery and chicken.
- Pour chilled sauce over chicken; toss to coat. Just before serving, line salad plates with lettuce if desired. Arrange chicken salad and pineapple over lettuce. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.