Chicken and Dumplings
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-2/3 cups reduced-fat biscuit/baking mix
- 2/3 cup fat-free milk
- In a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, cook and stir celery and carrots over medium heat until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in broth, chicken and seasonings. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to a gentle simmer.
- For dumplings, mix biscuit mix and milk until a soft dough forms. Drop by tablespoonfuls on top of the simmering liquid. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook until a toothpick inserted in dumplings comes out clean (do not lift cover during the first 10 minutes), 10-15 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 260 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 964mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 27g protein.
May 20, 2020
No comment left
May 12, 2020
I made this and it is easy, delicious and a favorite on a cold day.
Apr 8, 2020
No comment left
Mar 21, 2020
No Low fat alternative choices if you want REAL fluffy dumplings like your (my) mom made. She made large ones
Mar 1, 2020
No, actually dumplings do not ALWAYS have egg in them. Actually, traditional dumplings are baking powder, flower, salt, some type of shortening and a milk product. It is the way the shortening is mixed in that makes them so moist and fluffy. And being steamed on top. This is a good recipe. I made my great-grandmother's traditional dumplings on top though, approved by my boyfriend's brother who is a Master chef. He says dumplings are NOT traditionally made with egg...
Feb 29, 2020
Exple, thanks for the dumpling recipe! I really don't like the ones made with bisquick any more .... and Stewart and Lolygagtx .... you're talking about cooked pie dough and those are the most disappointing, awful "dumplings - NOT" I've ever tasted. I ordered chicken and dumplings when we went to Cracker Barrel and we have never gone back. Horrible food. A real dumpling is basically a biscuit cooked on top of a stew, just like the recipe states. They are fluffy and delicious and always have egg, baking powder, and milk. Always.
Feb 28, 2020
It amazes me how some think their way is always the only way! I grew up with a southern Georgian Dad and a northern Canadian Mom. The flat dumplings versus drop dumplings fight was settled early. Northern drop dumplings won hands down! Even my soul-food loving Dad admitted the flat dumplings (which were like mushy noodles to me) weren’t as tasty as the light fluffy biscuit-y drop dumplings made from scratch! I don’t know and it may be good, but Mom never used boxed mixes of anything.
Feb 13, 2020
To Stewart...the "lumps of dough" ARE dumplings.....made Northern style...strips of dough Southern and Amish style....don't like them....don't eat them......real simple to understand.
Feb 13, 2020
These are not Cracker Barrell chicken and du,Pliny’s!!!!
Feb 12, 2020
Tastes good, family liked it. But the dumplings at the Cracker Barrel’s in Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Arkansas, Tennessee, Virginia, Georgia , Alabama, Oklahoma, are flat, and not gummy at all.