Total TimePrep: 20 min. + standing Bake: 55 min. + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup ice water
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) tart cherries
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Red food coloring, optional
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide dough in half. Roll out one portion. Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom crust; trim pastry even with edge.
- Drain cherries, reserving 1/4 cup juice. In a large bowl, combine the sugar, tapioca, extract, salt, food coloring if desired and reserved juice. Gently stir in the cherries; let stand for 15 minutes.
- Pour into the crust. Dot with butter. Roll out remaining pastry; make a lattice crust. Seal and flute edges. Bake at 375° for 55-60 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 363 calories, 14g fat (4g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 240mg sodium, 58g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Nov 30, 2018
My daughter made this for the Thanksgiving dessert table, needless to say it did not last long. Everyone loved it and not a crumb could be found!
Dec 21, 2016
I'm not a fan of cherry pie but I made this for my sister-in-law and she said it was the best cherry pie she had tasted!
Nov 29, 2014
My first cherry pie and ur was amazing!! Couldn't find 2 cans of tart cherries so I used 1 can tart cherries (last can in the store) and dark pitted sweet cherries. Cut the sugar by half, mix the juices together n reserved 1/4 cup as directed n it was delicious!!! Make sure u put the pie on a sheet pan, mine bubbled n dripped everywhere
Mar 4, 2014
Very good and easy to make. I use a package of refrigerated pie crusts instead of making the pastry.
Feb 8, 2014
My husband had a slice of this pie tonight. He rated it 'very good'. It is easy to make and sets nicely.
Jun 26, 2013
No comment left
Jun 3, 2013
No comment left
May 21, 2013
GREAT PIE! I HAVE MADE THIS A BUNCH OF TIMES AND IT ALWAYS GETS RAVE REVIEWS!!!
Dec 24, 2012
Easiest pie ever, definitely a keeper
Jul 16, 2012
an OUTSTANDING pie. everyone just raved about it and it was very easy to make. I did make my own pie crust from another recipe though. The filling didn't run out when it was cut and tasted awesome. I reduced the sugar drastically, only adding maybe 1/4 cup since making it for a diabetic and it was great. Made this 2 more times!