Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 10 min. + cooling
Makesabout 6 dozen
- 1-1/3 cups shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup maraschino cherries, chopped
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and extract; mix well.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in the coconut and cherries (dough will be very stiff).
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire racks.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 176 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 175mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Apr 22, 2018
I can't really recommend these cookies, as another reviewer mentioned, they aren't macaroons at all, and miss a lot of the texture that makes those so special. They flattened out too much and easily break apart. Find yourself a good TRUE macaroon recipe and just add chopped maraschinos to it and you'll have a much better result. I also like to sprinkle red decorating sugar (the coarse kind) on top to give it some extra visual appeal and crunch.P.S. I tried to give it 1-star but the website for some reason simply won't let me go any lower than 2 stars. Guess they don't want any low reviews on their recipes here.
Dec 11, 2014
No comment left
Dec 5, 2014
These were a hit with my husband and son! Granted, they're not true macaroons, but if you get past the name, they're *very good* coconut cookies. :-) I toasted my coconut before adding it to the cookie dough, and I added coconut extract along with the almond extract to intensify the coconut flavor. Also, I think they would be good with chopped pecans added.
Jan 7, 2014
More of a cookie, however super delicious!
Dec 24, 2013
I followed this recipe TO A T, and these cookies, NOT MACAROONS, these cookies came out adequate at best. Do not follow this recipe and expect a luscious cherry flavored macaroon. These instead tasted more like a sugar cookie with a hint of coconut. Bad recipe.
Dec 27, 2009
I found this recipe when my son had colic. I had to eliminate dairy from my diet to prevent it, and this was one of the best non-dairy cookie recipes I found.
Dec 22, 2008
No comment left