Cherry Hand Pies
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 6 tablespoons water, divided
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cherry brandy
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- Dash salt
- 2 cups fresh or frozen pitted tart cherries, thawed and halved
- 1 cup fresh or frozen pitted dark sweet cherries, thawed and halved
- Pastry for double-crust pie
- 1 large egg
- 2-2/3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons hot water
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash salt
- Freeze-dried strawberries, crushed, optional
- In a large saucepan, whisk 4 tablespoons water, sugar, brandy, cornstarch, lemon juice, tapioca, lemon zest and salt until combined. Add cherries. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 400°. On a lightly floured surface, roll half the dough to a 14x9-in. rectangle. Cut out eight 3-1/2 x 4-1/2-in. rectangles. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Transfer 8 rectangles to parchment-lined baking sheets; spoon about 3 tablespoons cherry mixture in center of each. Whisk egg and remaining 2 tablespoons water. Brush edges of crust with egg wash. Top with remaining 8 rectangles; press edges with a fork to seal. Brush tops with egg wash; cut slits in tops.
- Bake until crust is golden brown and slightly puffed, 25-30 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Combine confectioners' sugar, hot water, melted butter, extracts and salt; drizzle over pies. Garnish with freeze-dried strawberries if desired. Let stand until set.
Nutrition Facts1 pie: 589 calories, 27g fat (16g saturated fat), 91mg cholesterol, 380mg sodium, 83g carbohydrate (49g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Aug 12, 2020
These are great! I made a few with a dark chocolate ganache on top. Heavenly.
Apr 26, 2020
My whole family loved these hand pies, but Instead of the freeze dried strawberries, I sprinkled top with toasted sliced almonds.Delicious!!
Apr 11, 2020
SO delicious! Not too sweet and very flavorful. Very straightforward recipe.