Cherry Chocolate Marble Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 6 tablespoons maraschino cherry juice
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups sour cream
- 3/4 cup chopped maraschino cherries, drained
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add 1 egg at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the cherry juice, water and extract; mix well. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition.
- Divide batter in half. To 1 portion, add cherries and walnuts; mix well. To the second portion, add chocolate; mix well. Spoon half of the cherry mixture into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Cover with half of the chocolate mixture. Repeat layers.
- Bake at 350° until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean, about 1-1/4 hours. Cool for 15 minutes; remove from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 606 calories, 31g fat (16g saturated fat), 94mg cholesterol, 544mg sodium, 74g carbohydrate (39g sugars, 3g fiber), 9g protein.
May 20, 2020
I have made this cake twice and I love the taste and passed the recipe on to my brother and he liked it too, The only problem we both had was that it seemed a bit dry. How can we fix this? Judith Hoffman
May 14, 2020
Beautiful cake and delicious as well!! The combination of maraschino cherries with the chocolate was so good. We used milk chocolate because it's what we had on hand.
May 10, 2017
I have made this cake at least a dozen times over the past 5 years. Absolutely delicious! I leave out the nuts. I have found that it is best to make the cake 1 or 2 days before you want to eat it.
Feb 19, 2016
This cake was delicious with a beautiful presentation. I served it with a spoonful of whipped cream.
Apr 3, 2015
Wonderful, moist cake. Everyone keeps talking about how delicious it was. A definate keeper!!
Jul 5, 2010
The chocolate overpowered the cherry flavor a little more than I would have liked, but overall a good cake!
Feb 13, 2007
No comment left
Apr 10, 2006
No comment left