Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cans (21 ounces each) cherry pie filling
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons whole milk
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter, sugar and salt until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extracts. Gradually add flour.
- Spread 3 cups dough into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Spread with pie filling. Drop remaining dough by teaspoonfuls over filling. Bake 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, mix confectioners' sugar, extracts and enough milk to reach desired consistency; drizzle over top.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 bar: 112 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 72mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Jul 5, 2020
I’ve made this recipe in a smaller size, 9 x13 inch pan for over 30 years. Easy to make and always a hit! Never fails and is easy to make. It’s an old standby recipe.
May 4, 2020
I cut this recipe in half as I only had one can of pie filling. Used 9x9 pan. Took roughly 45 minutes to bake but turned out like a cherry danish. Really good! I'll make it again.
May 1, 2020
With a few left over pantry items during Covid-19 quarantine, this was a hit!! I didn’t have almond extract so used a bit more vanilla extract. Crust was amazing good. Cherry pie filling was ok but would have added some fresh cherries to really make it pop.
Apr 21, 2020
I have made these bars several times. Very good and easy to make.
Mar 3, 2020
This recipe is delightfully easy to make and really impressive in the sheet pan. I would drizzle either the confectionary sugar glaze or chocolate ganache to really up the flavor of cherry and chocolate. I would try any pie flavor filling for your own taste preference. The buttery crust and crumb-like topping is delicious.
Jan 30, 2020
I made this Cherry Bar recipe after the holidays and then wished I had made it for the holidays! It is wonderful. My family loved it and wanted the recipe. Next time, I'm trying with either peach or apple!
Jan 6, 2020
This is a recipe my grandmother and then mother used to make. I make it for work potlucks because it’s easy, needs few “special” ingredients (not usually on hand), so can be made in a pinch. I believe this recipe was in a magazine or newspaper where my grandmother would’ve gotten it.
Dec 30, 2019
Very easy! Could substitute any pie filling.
Nov 11, 2019
Tried it for Sunday dinner, easy and delicious. Was a big hit
Nov 3, 2019
I’ve made these colorful and delicious Cherry Bars many times over the years since first seeing the recipe in Taste of Home. Always a popular treat and super easy to make!