Cheesy Walnut Burgers
In Almonte, Ontario, Janet Chappell serves these crisp meatless burgers with ketchup or plain yogurt to create an unusual taste sensation. The sharp cheddar brings a little zip to each bite.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh basil or thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 hamburger buns, split
- Ketchup or plain yogurt, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the first nine ingredients; shape into six 3/4-in. thick patties.
- In a large skillet, cook patties in oil over medium heat until golden brown on both sides.
- To bake, place patties on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 12-13 minutes on each side, turning once, or until browned. Serve on buns with ketchup or yogurt if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 430 calories, 28g fat (8g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 600mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 17g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.