Cheesy Sausage Stromboli
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (120° to 130°)
- 1/2 cup warm 2% milk (120° to 130°)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 pounds bulk pork sausage
- 4 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3 large eggs, divided use
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh basil or 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt and yeast. Add water, milk and butter; beat on low until well combined.
- Turn onto a well-floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook sausage until no longer pink; drain and cool. Stir in the mozzarella, 2 eggs and basil; set aside.
- Punch dough down; divide in half. Roll 1 portion into a 15x10-in. rectangle on a greased baking sheet. Spoon half of the sausage mixture lengthwise down 1 side of rectangle to within 1 in. of edges.
- Fold dough over filling; pinch edges to seal. Cut 4 diagonal slits on top of stromboli. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Beat remaining egg; brush over loaves. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Slice; serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 370 calories, 18g fat (8g saturated fat), 82mg cholesterol, 702mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 17g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Mar 26, 2020
Thank you so much for sharing! I saved this from the magazine years ago and my family loves it every time. It is often requested especially by my children for celebrations. Sometimes i use only half the amount of sausage and cheese filling. We haven't had any other meat stuffed bread we like half so well as this one!
Mar 19, 2019
If using frozen bread dough,do you just thaw,roll it,and just have one rise after you fill it
Jun 12, 2018
This was tasty. I might try other meats in it just to change it up.
Sep 7, 2016
yes, you can make the dough in a bread machine. I do it all the time.Have never made it any other wayI also change it up by using ham, beef and pepperoni along with a few veggies of your choose.
Jun 1, 2016
we used wheat flour and it was absolutely fantastic!
Dec 31, 2015
No comment left
Aug 21, 2014
My family liked the crust but the filling was not as well received. Followed the recipe exactly.
Mar 24, 2014
Wonderful! I made half a recipe of this along with a more traditional Stromboli. This was the preferred one hands down. Wish I had made the full recipe.
Dec 22, 2012
No comment left
Mar 25, 2011
I omitted the basil the 2nd time I made it and liked it better.