Cheesy Potato Soup
We like to eat hot bowlfuls of this cheesy soup often throughout the winter. It sure warms you through on a cold and dreary day.—Doris Self, Greensboro, North Carolina
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup diced peeled potato
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1-3/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1-3/4 cups fat-free evaporated milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) finely shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, combine the first five ingredients. Cover and simmer until potato is tender, about 12 minutes.
- Mash mixture with a potato masher. Combine cornstarch and milk until smooth; gradually add to vegetable mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cheese until melted.