Cheesy Onion Focaccia
this recipe makes a golden brown loaf with a pleasing onion flavor enhanced by garlic and Italian seasoning. With melted cheddar and Parmesan cheese on top, this bread tastes best when served warm.
Total TimePrep: 1 hour + rising Bake: 15 min.
- 3/4 cup water (70° to 80°)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 medium onions, quartered and sliced
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Place the first six ingredients in a bread machine pan in the order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1-2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).
- When the cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly greased 12-in. pizza pan; pat into a 10-in. circle. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, saute onions in butter in a large skillet until softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes or until deep golden brown. Add garlic and Italian seasoning; cook 1 minute longer.
- Make deep indentations 1 in. apart in dough, using the end of a wooden spoon handle. Top with onions and cheeses. Bake at 400° for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 174 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 309mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Oct 25, 2019
Really good! And easy to make. Caramelizing the onions is a nice touch!
Aug 23, 2008
An easy recipe that makes any Italian meal complete!
Dec 9, 2007
No comment left
Feb 16, 2006
No comment left