Cheesy Italian Bread
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 20 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 1 package (1/4 ounces) active dry yeast
- 1-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add 2 cups flour, sugar, salt, garlic salt, and cheese. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape each half into a 14-in. loaf. Place on a greased baking sheet that has been sprinkled with cornmeal. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Brush loaves with water. Make three diagonal slashes about 1/2 in. deep with a very sharp knife in each loaf.
- Fill a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan with 1 in. of hot water and place on the bottom oven rack. Bake bread at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 54 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 120mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Sep 27, 2015
Really good! I may have used a touch too much flour this time around...but that was a novice bread maker fault. Will make again.
Dec 11, 2013
I have made this twice now and my family loves it!
Dec 4, 2013
Just a question before I bake this bread. I do not use garlic salt, so how much salt and garlic powder would I use?
Apr 7, 2012
No comment left
Jan 9, 2011
May 2, 2010
Delicious bread and easy to make. I am new to bread-making. This bread was a great boost to my confidence in making bread. I would encourage all to give it a try. A big, big hit at our house !!!
Oct 29, 2009
This bread is a family favorite. I also use it sliced in half lengthwise for sub sandwiches with a cup of soup. It's delicious.
Oct 23, 2009
Have made this dozens of times and everyone loves it. I often use Parmesean cheese rather than Romano and use garlic powder instead of garlic salt and it comes our great!
Oct 19, 2009
Will make this again. We all loved it