Cheesy Hash Brown Egg Casserole with Bacon
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 12 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dill weed
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Discard drippings, reserving 2 tablespoons. In the same skillet, saute onion and green pepper in drippings until tender; remove with a slotted spoon.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk and seasonings. Stir in the hash browns, cheese, onion mixture and bacon.
- Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 391 calories, 28g fat (13g saturated fat), 357mg cholesterol, 887mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 0 fiber), 18g protein.
Apr 11, 2020
This is a great recipe. My family loves it. It has been my go to recipe for any brunch I've hosted or have been to. The only thing that I changed was that I cut the salt in half...the amount suggested in the recipe is way too salty for us and that is a very sinple fix.
Feb 3, 2020
Your print button overlaps writing making the recipe unreadable!!!
Oct 9, 2019
Easy to make and perfect to eat!
Aug 18, 2019
Pretty good and my son had three helpings!
Jan 12, 2019
Quick and easy. I used turkey breakfast sausage and it was delicious. I almost fainted when my husband asked for seconds lol ??
May 8, 2018
This casserole is one we turn to often! I make it for an easy weeknight dinner. The only change I make is leaving out the green peppers, but that is just b/c I'm not a big fan - otherwise leave them in!
Jan 31, 2018
My family has been enjoying this recipe ever since it was first published in 1998! Sometimes I substitute cooked sausage or ham for the bacon.
Oct 10, 2016
This got good reviews from the family that I made it for. They are Gluten Free, so it worked out well for that compared to a lot of breakfast casseroles that I make.
Jun 5, 2016
Made this for Mother's Day brunch. Everyone loved it, even my brothers' picky family. I usually leave out the dill. Really, really good and so easy.
May 9, 2016
I always make this when I have brunch and it is always gobbled up. Feel free to any of your vegetables you have - - a good, verisitable egg casserole.